As the anticipation builds for the premiere of One Night kwa Mxolisi, DStv reveals some secrets and gems about the film, its makers and cast members.
Starring Sisanda Henna (who also directs the film), Donovan Goliath, Linda Mtoba and SAFTA award-winning actor Motlatsi Mofatsi amongst others, the plot follows a once semi-successful rugby player who invites his friends to the opening of his new restaurant. But after one too many drinks, truth-bombs are thrown and friendships get tested.
From the film being initially named something else, to the time it took to make, here are some unknown gems about the making of One Night Kwa Mxolisi that you should know:
- The movie was initially titled Good Boys and was commissioned as a KykNET movie.
- Written by Marvin Lee Beaukers and Johan Cronje, the film took a year to write, while filming took only two weeks as the film was shot in one location.
- Sisanda’s first-born son Micaiah Henna is in the film and plays the role of son Olwethu aka Olly. He does have some scenes he shares with Sisanda.
- Post-production editor for the film Kagiso Latane acted as a stand-in while Sisanda filmed his acting scenes, and to avoid confusion, he would wear a shirt similar to Sisanda’s for continuity.
- For talent casting, Sisanda Henna and casting director Ayanda Makayi held screen and chemistry tests to secure the stellar cast featured in the movie. Sisanda had the vision in terms of the type of characters, and Ayanda brought the vision to life.
- The film was shot in 27 Boxes in Melville, which was closed due to Covid-19. The concept of the restaurant, M.X.O’s on 4th is based on Henna’s brother’s bistro, Blaque in Bryanston. The original restaurant in the movie is set in Parkhurst on 4th but the script was adjusted to also reflect it as being in Melville.
- Ant’s (Donovan Goliath) rap went off script and was kept in the movie. Donovan wrote the lyrics himself.
- The leading character’s name was meant to be Siya…yes, inspired by Siya Kolisi.
- This is Donovan Goliath’s debut as an actor in a film.
- The couple Funi (Fulu Mugovhani) and Brian’s (Nyaniso Dzedze) are inspired by SA’s power couple, Zam and Khensani Nkosi.
One Night Kwa Mxolisi will premiere on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) at 21:30 Saturday, 27 February 2021. You can also watch the film live and on Catch Up in the DStv App.
The movie will also be available on Showmax from Friday, 26 February 2021.