The University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) hosts the 15th edition of the Annual African Cultural Calabash Festival under the umbrella of the African Music Project.
The theme of this year’s festival is Ubumbano – Africa Unite! Members of the public are invited to visit the African Music Project Facebook page at 19h30 on Friday, 27 November 2020 to watch the pre-recorded broadcast of the event, held at the Rooftop Garden in Durban.
Performing artists include:
- Glo Mapenzi, a guitarist, singer, songwriter and recording artist from the Democratic Republic of Congo. His headline piece is expected to be a fusion of South African and Congolese music, titled Africa Unite!
- The Kangaroo Zulu Dancers, well-known for their indlamu choreographies and acrobatic routines.
- Hloniphani Mthethwa, a young generation maskandi guitarist, renowned as a show headliner locally and internationally.
- Red Lights, a vocal acapella ensemble who will present a set of Afro Gospel with arrangements and choreography.
- The UKZN African Music and Dance 3rd year class, a group of students who will present a set of pieces that synthesize a variety of music and dance styles – a fusion that demonstrates both African roots and modern applications of traditional music.
*Due to Covid-19 restrictions it was not possible to host a live event this year.